Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Independence Day!


Just in time for this Red, White, and Blue holiday, I've finished my pair of Magic Stripes socks. As you might remember, I cast on and started this toe-up pair as a "relief" for the "Sole-Sucking Socks," which wouldn't heel. This pair was no slam dunk either; I had to rip out and re-knit the last two rows of the cuffs (I do 2 at once on a long circular needle) because the bind off rows were too tight. I love the garter rib pattern that I used on the leg - it's so easy: Row 1 = K2, P2; Row 2 = K; Rinse, lather, repeat. The cuff rows are a K1P1 rib and the bind off is the Aloha Cast Off (a crochet cast off with an extra stitch). Extra Stretchy!

An update on those SSS: I have AGAIN pulled out and restarted the heel. This time, though, I'll stick with what I know and use the gusset-increase, no-wrap, no gap heel from Crazy Toes and Heels. Hopefully, I've calculated correctly... tune in for further info.

I promised that I would explain Project Swatch Watch. Search as I have, I can't find any source that can tell me how to compare one stitch pattern with the dimensions of another....without having to do the dreaded guage swatch each time. So I thought: if I kept a record of basic stitch swatches, all standardized to the same yarn, needle size, stitch and row numbers -- then I could compare one stitch pattern dimensions to another! I would know, for example, that a swatch 30 stitches across and 40 rows down, using Red Heart's TLC worsted weight yarn with US size 8 needles in a X pattern has the measurements Y inches by Z inches. So this is what I'm going to do. I have already knit up a swatch of garter stitch and one of stockinette stitch (a *itch to block!). I'll post these next time; I'm contemplating adding a border of garter stitches to make the swatches easier to block.

Until then, Happy July 4th!!

Eat.....and drink.....responsibly!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?